Memantine is used in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. However. It helps to reduce the moderate to sever dementia by enhancing memory. It can also help you become more aware and ensure you properly perform your daily chores. Memantine is classified as ‘NMDA or N-methyl D-aspartate Receptor Antagonist’ used for. It exerts its action by disrupting abnormal activity in the brain.
Memantine targets the ‘Glutamatergic System’, which mainly contains ‘NMDA receptors’. It is a medication you usually take by mouth via the oral route of administration. Memantine is also available in three types of dosage forms. They include immediate-release tablets, extended-release capsules, and oral solutions. It is available as a generic medicine used typically to treat moderate-to-severe dementia symptoms seen in Alzheimer’s patients.
Memantine received official medical approval from the Food and Drug Administration or FDA of the United States of America (USA) in 2003. However, it was in 2020 that this Alzheimer’s disease drug became the 152nd most prescribed medication in the USA. As per statistical data, more than three million Memantine prescriptions were given by doctors during this period.
How does Memantine Work to Treat ‘Dementia’ Symptoms of an Alzheimer’s Patient?
Memantine is an NMDA or N-methyl D-aspartate Receptor Antagonist drug Used to treat moderate to sever dementia in Patients with Alzheimer’s symptoms. It works by binding to the NMDA Receptor and targets what we medically know as the Glutamatergic System, which leads to the regulation of glutamate production in the brain. Now, glutamate is a neurotransmitter available in the brain responsible for transmitting nerve signals. Therefore, by exerting control over the functioning of glutamate, Memantine helps stimulate an increase in memory power and thereby manages Alzheimer’s symptoms such as ‘Dementia’. Moreover, you need to understand that, in essence, Memantine acts by simply preventing glutamate from binding to receptors they usually seek out to reduce signs and symptoms of Alzheimer’s. It is also essential to note that despite the antagonist effect of Memantine, the drug cannot prevent or regress the ‘Neuroregeneration’ that you see in an individual suffering from Alzheimer’s disease.
What are The Medical Uses of Memantine Tablets?
Memantine 10 mg (Memantine 10mg) is a NMDA (N-methyl D-aspartate) receptor antagonist helps to promote memory & thinking process in the patients suffering from Alzheimer symptoms. Apart from managing mild-to-serious Alzheimer’s disease symptoms that include dementia, you can also use Memantine in the medicinal therapy treatment of other ‘Psychiatric’ medical conditions like bipolar disorder. In addition, there is also the possibility of this medication having a possible impact on Autism, a neurodevelopmental condition. However, there is no clear evidence showing any association between Memantine and a positive impact on this spectrum disorder.
How to Take Memantine Hcl Tablet?
Before you take Memantine, you need to know how to use it so that you can acquire maximum benefits from using it. Here then, providing a few tips usually given by your healthcare professional to help manage the condition effectively. They are:
- If you want to acquire maximum benefits, it is advisable to take a Memantine every day.
- When taking this medicine, please remember that you can consume it before or after your meal.
- If you are using Memantine in a liquid dosage form, you need to use either a dosing cup, spoon, or syringe to measure it accurately.
- Before you use Memantine, you must inform your doctor if you have allergies. As this medication has ingredients that can cause an allergic reaction
- Never use this drug along with alcohol or recreational drugs such as marijuana.
- Avoid crushing or chewing a Memantine tablet. Always swallow it whole.
- It is necessary to follow all instructions written on the prescription label. Only take a dose which is manageable and prominent. Ensure you follow the dosage plan as prescribed by your doctor
Dosage Schedule of Memantine Tablet:
The dosage plan for Memantine will depend on the type of dosage form. It is as follows:
Usual Adult Dosage form for Immediate Release:
Typically, you can spread dosing across four weeks or 28 days. For example, in the first week, the minimum dose will be 5 mg orally one time a day. During the second week, the minimum dose will increase to 10 mg, which you will need to take using two 5 mg doses. In the third week, the minimum dose will increase to 15 mg, which you need to take in separate 15 and 5 mg doses. Finally, in the fourth week, you need to take a ‘Maintenance Dose’ of 20 mg that you need to administer via two 10 mg doses.
Usual Adult Dosage form for Extended Release:
When you take Memantine via extended release, you need a minimum initial dose of 7 mg by mouth once a day. The Maintenance, as well as the Maximum dose of this medication, is 28 mg orally one time a day. If you intend to increase it, you use 7 mg increments.
Now, if you are suffering from either renal problems or hepatic impairment, then you need to take the following precautions:
Renal Dosage Adjustment:
It is if you are suffering from a renal disorder, you need to make the following dosage adjustment:
For an Extended Release tablet dose, you need to increase it to 14 mg once a day orally. Likewise, you need to increase the Immediate Release pill to 5 mg orally twice a day.
Liver Dosage Adjustment:
If you are suffering from severe hepatic problems such as cirrhosis, then all you need to do is take Memantine with caution. Unfortunately, the dose adjustment data is not available.
While following the dosage plan mentioned above, there is a possibility that you may either skip a dose or overdose on it. Under such a situation, you need to do the following:
Usually, as soon as you miss a dose of Memantine, you must take it as soon as you remember. If, however, the time for taking your scheduled next dose is just around the corner, you must avoid taking a skipped dose. It would help if you didn’t take an extra dose to compensate for a loss.
On missing a Memantine dosage, you can experience adverse side effects such as impaired reactions or thinking. Therefore, you must contact your doctor as soon as you skip a dose.
What are The Side Effects of Taking Memantine Tablets?
Like other synthetic medications, when you take Memantine, there is always a possibility that you may experience a mix of mild-to-severe side effects. They are as follows:
- Dizziness or drowsiness
- Quick weight gain
- Bloating or swelling of the face
If you observe a few severe side effects mentioned below, you must stop the medicine immediately and call your doctor.
- Serious alteration in vision
- Severe headache
- Episodes of seizure or convulsion
- Sudden change in mood and behaviour of individual
- Hepatitis, i.e. inflammation of the liver
- Pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas
- Congestive heart failure symptoms like difficulty in breathing
- Alteration in mental health that includes hallucinations and suicidal thoughts
There is always a chance that you may not be able to consume Memantine due to drug allergy issues. However, you need not worry because there are drugs that contain Memantine that you can use. They are as follows:
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using Memantine ?
Like all artificial medications, there are always a few pros and cons to using Memantine. They are as follows:
- It is a drug you can tolerate having usually mild side-effects
- Memantine is available in a tablet as well as liquid form
- This medicine does not have many drug interaction issues
- Extended-release capsules are easy to use
1. It does not entirely cure Alzheimer’s disease
2. This medication takes about a few weeks to kick in
3. Memantine is a medicine that you need to take at least twice a day if you want it to be effective
How do You Ensure That You Take Memantine Effectively?
Typically, if you want to ensure that Memantine functions effectively, you need to keep the following safety measures in mind, they are as follows:
- Since this drug can cause drowsiness or dizziness, you must avoid engaging in activities such as driving or handling a machine.
- Never become dependent on Memantine and get into addiction, as you must remember that consumption of this medicine can only slow down the progression of Alzheimer’s and not treat it.
- You should avoid this medicine if you are either a pregnant woman or a breastfeeding mother significantly, as Memantine can trigger harmful side effects in them, which can be fatal.
What Storage Instructions do You Need to Follow to Preserve Memantine Efficacy?
If you want maximum use from Memantine, you must store appropriately using the following storage guidelines.
- Please keep Memantine in an airtight container away from light and heat at room temperature.
- Never discard unused Memantine 10mg by flushing it down the toilet drain. Always get rid of this medication as per instructions given by the pharmacist or waste disposal company representative.
Find more at The Drug Info.